Anime is a highly visual art form, where every detail is part of an elaborate visual form of communication. What seems at first glance to be an irrelevant detail will have an important meaning that only becomes obvious later in the story.
One of the symbolic elements is the color of a character’s hair. These traits will apply to both male and female characters, but here we are concerned with what hair color tells us about female characters. Before we look at the characteristics usually found in white-haired girls, we need to understand what other hair colors represent.
I would like to stress though that these brief descriptions are generalizations and some anime films will have characters that do not conform to these norms.
- Blue hair will indicate an intellectual character who might be an introvert, yet with determination. These girls are usually portrayed as keen on tradition.
- Yellow hair suggests an important individual, often the main female character. When a yellow-haired girl appears in anime, you will know that she is a special person.
- Red-haired girls tend to be outspoken, headstrong, and born leaders. They can act on impulse and the result will not always be beneficial.
- Green hair is less common now than it was in the past. Girls with bright green hair tend to be active, sporty types. She will be intelligent although often the character will be comic rather than serious.
- Purple hair, usually pale and flowing, denotes a girl who is rather refined, even dainty. She will take a detached role and can be imbued with an element of mystery.
- Pink hair indicates a rather child-like character, cute, a bit ditsy, and often naïve. At one time pink hair was rarely seen, but now is quite common and is seen as one of the mainstream hair colors.
- Brown hair is usually found on reliable, normal’ girls who are friendly and occasionally a bit boring.
- Black hair is common in the Japanese population, so is not given any strong characteristics in anime. Usually, it just means every type of girl’s character. If the black hair is flowing, though, it can denote a girl of high birth or one held in high esteem by others.
This brings us to the girls with White hair. In anime, the brighter the hair color, the more otherworldly and magical the character is. A pure white, luminous hair color indicates that the character is as otherworldly as it is possible to be. She will often be gifted with magical or mysterious powers, and seem both distant and separate.
White-haired girls are usually special in some way. They will have qualities that make them stand out from the other characters in a story.
The characters we have chosen here as the top white-haired Anime girls do not all have the traits that we might expect. Some Anime film directors like to challenge their audience with surprises, and so a few of these white-haired girls are not typical. White hair remains a rare phenomenon in Anime.
Here are ten of the top anime girls with white hair.
Female Anime Characters With White Hair
1. Shiro (Deadman Wonderland)
Shiro is a naive albino girl, dressed entirely in white, and with pure white hair. She is incarcerated in the violent prison that is Deadman Wonderland, where her role is to protect Ganta, the hero of the film, from being killed. She is portrayed as a pure but frail and weak girl, who is slightly mysterious. As the story progresses, though, she shows that she has a darker side.
2. Chaika Trabant (Hitsugi no Chaika)
Toru Acura is a former soldier with no meaning in his life. When he meets Chaika Trabant the white-haired sorceress who owns a magical rifle, Toru decides to accompany her in the hope of finding adventure and purpose. Chaika is portrayed as a rather child-like character, but she possesses great magical knowledge and abilities.
3. Mirajane Strauss (Fairy Tail)
Fairy Tail is a Guild for magicians, where Mirajane Strauss works as a head waitress in the bar. It becomes apparent, though, that she holds great power within the Guild. When enemies appear, Mirajane’s powers come to the fore, and she changes into a force to be reckoned with.
Mirajane is a cheerful and amusing character but can wield power beyond what is expected by her personality
4. Koneko Toujou (High School DxD)
Devils have formed a club at the Kuoh Academy, and one of their servants is the white-haired girl Koneko Toujou. The devils are not particularly evil, although they do get up to mischief. Koneko spends most of her time giving another character, Issei, a hard time for his unsavory behavior. As with many white-haired girls in Anime, Koneko has a mysterious past.
5. Leonmitchelli Galette des Rois (Dog Days)
Leonmitchelli is a white-haired princess and army leader with amazing magical powers. She leads an invading army that has to fight against heroes brought from Earth to help her opponents. Outspoken and loud, Leonmitchelli is not your typical white-haired Anime character. Instead, she is a fighter with a cool, quick mind which makes her a brilliant strategist. Staying calm at all times, she doesn’t have the mysterious past so often seen in white-haired magical girls.
6. Origami Tobiichi (Date A Live)
Origami Tobiichi is a major character in the anime Date A Live series. Although outwardly a cute and rather emotional girl, she is an extremely proficient wizard. She is academically bright and an excellent athlete. Yet she does have an unpleasant trait. She is in love with another character named Shidouu and is so fascinated by him that she becomes a stalker.
7. Emilia (Re: Zero)
There is a royal election coming up, and Emilia, a half-elf white-haired anime girl, is one of the candidates. However, dirty deeds are being done by others, affecting the election candidates and Emilia has to struggle to remain on the list.
She is cute but caring and has a good nature. She does not bother too much about how she looks, and as a result, resembles the Witch of Envy. This similarity causes problems for Emilia, and she spends much of her time living with the elves in the woods. She is determined, however, to be a good ruler when she achieves the royal title.
8. Kaguya Otsutsuki (Naruto Shippuden)
Kaguya Otsutsuki is a celestial character with immense powers and a mean streak that makes her unsympathetic, but she uses her powers for the benefit of human beings.
9. Seitenshi (Black Bullet)
Seitenshi governs Tokyo in this story. She is calm, confident, and capable. A serious white-haired girl with a reassuring personality.
10. Noire (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
When in her normal form, Noire has jet black hair. Her magical ability is that she can turn into a goddess called Black Heart. In this form, her hair is pure luminescent white.